Pizza caprice Authentic Italian recipe
Ingredients / Serves 4
- Pizza dough for 4 people
- For the topping
- 400 g (14 oz) puréed tomatoes (passata)
- 60 g (2oz) white mushrooms in oil (champignons)
- 60 g (2oz) green olives, stoned
- 60 g (2oz) black olives, stoned
- 10 artichokes in oil
- 250 g (8 1/2 oz) mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 10 minutes
plus rising time
cooking: 20-25 minutes
total time: 35 minutes
- Nutrition Facts (amount per serving):
Calories: 807 (kCal) 41 % GDA (*) - 3375 (kJ)
Protein: 31.7 (g) 43 % GDA
Total fat: 28.8 (g) 42 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 111.6 (g) 42 % GDA
Sugars: 12.2 (g) 14 % GDA
Caprice pizza (in Italian pizza capricciosa) is one of the most famous Italian pizza in the world.
For the topping you'll need: puréed tomatoes (passata), white mushrooms in oil, green and black olives, artichokes in oil and mozzarella cheese.
Prepare the pizza dough, following our instructions.
When the dough has risen, divide it into four pieces and, on a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece. You can obtain the shape you want: rectangular or round. This amount of dough is enough for four 30 cm (12in) round baking sheets if you like crunchy pizza but if you prefer soft pizza use only two baking sheets.
Oil the baking sheets with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Transfer every portion of dough to a baking sheet.
Prepare the tomato sauce mixing the puréed tomatoes with the remaining olive oil and season to taste with salt. For each pizza, spread half of the tomato sauce to within 1/2 inch (1,2 cm) of the rim. Allow to rise about 20 minutes in a warm place.
Meanwhile preheat oven to 220°C (425°F) and prepare all the other ingredients. Cut the artichokes crossways into thin slices, half olives and mushrooms, cube the mozzarella cheese. Bake pizzas for about 15 minutes, then remove them from the oven and arrange the olives, mushrooms, artichokes and at last mozzarella cheese over the top. Bake again for about 5 minutes. Cooking times are indicative; everyone can adjust them to his oven.
Serve hot or warm.
- - When we prepare the tomato sauce, we add 1 tablespoon dried chives.
- - The ingredients of "Caprice pizza" are very different in the regions of Italy.
Some people use boiled ham, little artichokes in oil and mushrooms in oil; other people use little artichokes, mussels and mushrooms. You can use all that your fancy suggests.
- - Pizza dough is made according to our recipe so total fat and calories are less.
- - If you want to learn how to make pizza dough very well, consult our "Cookery school". A rich sequence of photos explain to you how to prepare a perfect dough step-by-step.